( Lactulose) Syrup
Each teaspoonful (5 ml) contains:
Lactulose 3.350 gm
Lactulose is broken down in the colon into organic acids which stimulates the bowel movements and exert a local osmotic effect in the colon to maintain a volume of fluid in the bowel, ensuring the formation of a soft stool. When large dosage is given for hepatic encephalopathy, the PH of the colon is reduced significantly, to cause a decrease in absorption of toxic nitrogenous compounds, so that the blood -arnmonia concentration falls.
– Treatment of chronic constipation.
– Adjunctive treatment of hepatic encephalopathy.
– Patients with galactosemia.
– Intestinal obstruction.
Sedalac should be given with caution in diabetic patients or patients with lactose intolerance.
Side effects :
Flatulence, cramps and abdominal discomfort.
Dosage & administration :
1- Treatment of constipation:
– Adults: 3 teaspoonfuls (15 ml of measuring cup) 2-3 times daily
increased to 60 ml if necessary .
– Children: Over 6 years :2 teaspoonfuls (10 ml of measuring cup)
1-6 years :teaspoonful (5 ml of measuring cup) twice daily.
less than 1-year: (2.5 ml of measuring cup ) twice daily .
2- Adjunctive treatment of hepatic encephalopathy :
initially 6 – 9 teaspoonfuls (30 – 45 ml of measuring cup) hourly then reduced to the normal daily dose.
– Keep at temp. not exceeding 30°C.( avoid freezing )·h 1
-Keep medicine out of reach of children. h~l. tll
Produced by :
SEDICO Pharmaceutical Co.
6 October City – Egypt