antiprotozoal & Antibacterial
Each tablet contains 500 mg Tinidazole
Protozole ( Tinidazole – MUP ) is an imidazole derivative which exerts a marked
antiprotozoal activity against Trichomonas vagin8lis, Giardia Jamblia (intestinalis). and against both intestinal and extraintestinal forms of Entameba histolytica.
Protozole exhibits an antibacterial activity against Gardnerella vaginalis, and against a wide
variety of anaerobic organisms including:
– Gram-negative bacilli: Bacteroides species, and Fusobacterium species.
-Gram-negative cocci: Voillonella species.
– Gram-positive bacilli: Eubacterium-species.
– Gram-positive cocci: Peptococcus species, and peptos/reptococcus species.
– Spore-forming Gram-positive bacilli: Clostridium species.
Protozole is slowly metabolized in the body, so it has a long duration of action which allows a single daily dose therapy. It is very well tolerated by most patients, and higher cure rates have been achieved by its use in comparative trials with other imidazoles.
Indications & Dosage:
1-As an antiprotozoal:
Trichomonal vaginitis & giardiasis Adults 4 tablets as a sinale dose
Children 50-75 mgJkg as a single dose may be repeated once aaain.
Intestinal amoebiasis Adults 4 tablets as a sinole dailv dose for 2-3 days.
Children 50-60 mQ/kQ as a slnqle dail dose for 2-3 days.
Extraintestinal amoebiasis e.g. Adults 3-4 tablets as a sin le dailv dose for 2-5 days
amoebic heoatitis and abscess. Children 50-60 mglkg as a single daily dose for 2-5 days.
– In case of trichomonal vaginitis, the male partner must receive the same treatment to reduce risk of relapse.
– Amoebic liver abscess should be as irated.
2 – As an antrbacterlal (for aut use only
Dosage for children below 12 years of age has not been established for this ouroose :
As a propnylaxsts against anaerobic 4 tablets as a single dose given colonic infections in cvnecolocic 12 hours before surgery
and abdominal suroerv. surcerv,
Treatment of anaerobic infections such as: 4 tablets as a single dose are given
Intra-abdominal infections e.g. peritonitis as initial treatment on the first
, intra-abdominal abscess), Gynecologic day to be fllowed by daily
infections (e.g. endometritis endomyometritis) doses of 2 tablets for
, skin & soft tissue Infections, lower 4-5 days.
respiratory tract infections(pneumonia
, lung abscess, empyema), endocarditis
caused by bacteroides species, and
other anaerobic infections by susceptible.
Non-specific vaginitis caused by 4 tablets 8S 8 single dose (better
gardnerella vaginalis and anaerobic to be followed by another 4 tablets
bacteria. on the next day for better resutts
Ulcerative stomatitis and in ivitis. 4 tablets as a sinole dose.
– In mixed infections by both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, the proper antibacterial for aerobic bacteria must be givenjn conju.n<;1i,oo with protczole
– Generally protozole tablets should be given during or after meals.
Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headache, dryness of mouth, and metallic taste may occur in occasional patients.
– Blood dyscrasia, neurological diseases, and in nursing mothers.
– History of hypersensitivity to Tinidazole.
Use In Pregnancy:
Contraindicated in the first trimester, and should not be used during the last two trimesters except when absolutely necessary.
Box containing 1 strip x 4 tablets.
Box containing 3 strips x 4 tablets.
Medical Union Pharmaceuticals,
Abu-Su~an, Ismailia, Egypt.